Thursday, April 17, 2008

"House upon the rock"


Elijah is learning about community helpers in social studies. This week he learned about the "builder" He was very fascinated to learn about all the different people that it takes to build a house. He was curious to know who build our house. On the left is Eljah showing off his toolbelt that he made. I thought it was a good opportunity to teach him about building his life upon the rock. He loves the song "The wise man builds his house upon the rock,....the rains came down and the floods came up.....but the house on the rock stood firm" It was a lesson for me as well (as they always are). It's so vitally important that we build our lives on the foundation of Jesus. To me that means that we view everything in light of Him and His word. Life is messy, there is sorrow, pain, laughter, tears, trials, accomplishments, and everything in between. But we do not need to be tossed around like a ship at sea during a storm. We do not need to give into to the uncertainty. If we have Jesus as our support, as our foundation, we can stand in the midst of anything.


Yesterday I happen to catch the last few minuets of the Oprah show. ( I am not a fan) What caused me to stop was they were talking about "moms" The last bit that I caught was how we as women need to put ourselves first. We need to "listen to ourselves". I thought how sad that millions of woman are watching this show and believing this lie. Put ourselves first? Listen to ourselves? Sounds like the same lies that were feed to Eve. Mat 19:30 says the first shall be last and last shall be first. It's the complete opposite of what the Lord wants us to believe. "Listen to ourselves"? Why when I am evil, selfish, and Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) dwells no good thing. For to will is present with me, but how to perform that which is good I do not find. It caused me to think of the foundation these woman had.Their foundations seemed to be themselves, what people are telling them, and feelings...all are wavering and surely the winds and rain will wash away.

But with Christ as my foundation, it's not about me and the hear and now. I don't need to put myself first because I am not living for me. His word is firm, and true, and it guides me in my life. It doesn't change because of my situation or my feelings, it makes no excuses for my sin.
It's firm. And that is truly what brings peace and allows me to stand.

What an awesome truth to hand down to our children, in a world that is all about self, want it now, have it now, do it now. They can stand firm, they can stand for righteousness. The will not be swept away with the despair of this world. They will not need the praise of men or themselves. They will desire to hear "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord." Mat25:23

Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on a rock. And the rain came down, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house. And it did not fall, for it was founded on a rock. And everyone who hears these sayings of Mine and does not do them shall be compared to a foolish man who built his house on the sand. And the rain came down, and the floods came, and the wind blew and beat on that house. And it fell, and great was its fall.
(Mat 7:24-27)

No comments: