Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"just a mom who loves her children"


Many of you have heard and perhaps watched the story of Whitney Cerak and Laura Van Ryn, two college students involved in a horrible accident which claimed the lives of 5 people back in May 2006. Whitney was believed to have passed away in the accident while Laura critically injured. But the opposite was the case and it was not realized until 5 weeks after the accident. The Van Ryns tended to who they believed was there daughter for 5 weeks only to come to the sad conclusion that their daughter Laura had in fact died in the accident. The Cerak's who buried their daughter 5 weeks earlier were given an amazing gift of life in their daughter Whitney. I just finished the book the families had written "mistaken identity" I knew these families were believers because I had watched the story on Dateline. But the book just draws you so much closer to the hearts of both these families and truly is a testimony of how awesome our God is and what a beautiful savior we serve. I won't go into all the details because I really recommend you buy and read the book for yourself. (you won't be able to put it down)




I will share this however. For as long as I have been a Christian I have wanted God to use me in an awesome way. I have struggled with finding what He wants me to do. The past few years I have realized the call on my life is a simple one. First to know Him more deeply, second to be a wife, third to be a mother and lastly to just be available to Him. Each of those callings have many levels but in nutshell that's it. So as I read the story of these families and how many lives this story has touched for the name of Jesus I longed for have that impact with my own life. The very last chapter of the book is written by Whitney, the girl who survived the accident. She wrote that many people have said to her "God isn't finished with you yet" or "God has something great in store for you". It made her question whether she would ever live up to such an expectation. A friend shared the story of Elijah in 1 Kings. Elijah goes out to the desert to talk to God and to hear from Him. He sees and hears many amazing things, great winds, earthquakes, and fire yet God was not in those things. It was only when he heard a quiet whisper that heard the voice of God. Whitney goes on to write how this spoke to her about her own life. That allowing God to have her life for His purposes was BIG enough. She writes "if I'm just a mom who loves her children and tells them about Jesus,that's enough" A wave of the Lord's presence rushed over me when I read that. "that's it" He whispered to me. It's just what I needed to hear.

So as I start our day, I encourage you to allow Him accomplish His will in our lives. And to remember that with God there is no small things. He can't do small, all His plans are purposeful and perfect.

(Zec 4:10) For who hath despised the day of small things? for they shall rejoice, and shall see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel with those seven; they are the eyes of the LORD, which run to and fro through the whole earth.

No comments: