Sunday, August 22, 2010

On the eve of a new school year

Another school year is upon us. We start school tomorrow. I can't believe that this is our 6th year homeschooling. I have learned a lot in those 6 years and I am hoping to carry on that knowledge to our new school year. Every year I seek to get my focus back to why we are homeschooling, to regain our vision. For our family we homeschool for One main reason and His name is Jesus Christ. Plain and simple we want our kids to know truth. We want their lives to be set apart . We want them to know they are made with a purpose, they were made to have a relationship with God. He is the Author and Finisher of our lives. Everything is secondary, very important but secondary.

Homeschooling to us is not about trying out the newest curriculum, boasting how advanced our kids are, or being prideful by looking down on others who choose another method of education for their children. I'll be the first to admit I don't have it all figured out. My kids are not in the super accelerated course, they are not 2 years ahead of the peers, we don't always do amazing enrichment activities and venture out on purposeful field trips. But I love the Lord and I love my kids. I give them all that I am capable of and the Lord fills in the gaps.

Now all that being said I do realize that it leaves one to wonder if my kids are getting any sort of traditional education and I can assure you they are. We enjoy learning together. The boys are excited about science this year. Elijah is excited about reading and Isaiah is ho humming about Math. That sounds about right to me. This year we add a one year old to the mix. Hannah will be a challenge to jungle with all we do, but she is also a very important part of the homeschool experience. It's so much easier to show the kids compassion, love and a servants heart when you have a little one toddling around who needs us. Hannah is in for an adventure as well.

I won't go into detail about all that we have planned for the year, the blog posts to follow will tell that story. I do want to share our theme verse for the year. I prayed and as I brought it all before the Lord, this is what we were given for the year. I think it's perfect for my own personal life and for our family.

I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus Philippians 3:14

1 comment:

Snuffygirl5 said...

You are an amazing homeschool mom! We miss all your passion and love for these precious kiddos around here. It will be an adventure this year with a toddler in house, but it's all part of the fun and memories. Praying for a great day.