Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Old Traditions made New

So everyone knows that I am homesick and especially during the Christmas season. I have so many wonderful Christmas memories with friends and family back in Maine it is hard to imagine Christmas without them. But here we are in Washington and we have so many reasons to be thankful and we truly are blessed. It important to remember what Christmas is about...the birth of our Savior Jesus.
One thing I remember when I was a child was a ceramic Christmas tree my parents had. It had holes in it that little lights would go in and then we would plug it in and it was just beautiful. I loved that particular decoration more than any other for some reason.I have always wanted one for myself, but could never find one and when on the rare occasion I did, I couldn't justify spending the money on it.
So today I got a package on my doorstep from my friend Jen (we used to live in Calais together) and what did I find inside? You guessed it a ceramic tree, lights and all. She had mentioned she had made one awhile back and I told her how much I had wanted one. So being the thoughtful and crafty friend that she is, she made me one and shipped it to me in time for Christmas.
Those of you who know me, know I am bit of sap. I cry pretty easily especially over sentimental things. Well I indeed cried. I was struck with two things. One how blessed I am that even though I have moved literally to the other side of the country I have lifelong family and friends who love me and that are loved so very much by me. And two how blessed I am to have my own little family, my husband, and three amazing children Isaiah,Elijah and Hannah to share my memories of Christmas past and to make new ones with. I had so much fun putting the lights on this little tree with the kids.


Thank you Jen so much! Miss you!

No comments: