Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Peace

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God And the peace of God which passes all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.Philippians 4:6-7

I have read this verse a million times, I have copied it onto a note card and have posted it on the refrigerator. I have quoted it to myself and to others when a situation arose that needed comfort or exhortation. But yesterday this verse came to life in a new way.

Yesterday I was faced with a situation that I couldn't run from and I was very anxious about. I felt helpless and defeated even thinking about it. But as I sat there entertaining thoughts of defeat and anxiousness I realized I had a choice to make. I could continue feeling helpless or I could take God at His word and beg Him to fulfill His promise. I choose the second.

So as I prayed and asked the Lord to calm my anxious heart, and to give me peace in my heart and mind, He again proved Himself faithful. I could sense His presence with me whispering words of encouragement "I will never leave you, you can do all things through me who strengthens you" I was not defeated after all but I actually had victory before the battle had even begun.

I was also struck how seriously the Lord took my request. Because really most people might have snickered at my "mountain" to climb, because it probably would look like a mole hill to them. But the Lord is so personal and so intimate. He didn't ask me to justify my fears, He just took them from me. He knows me, He knows my hurts, He knows how weak I am. He met me right where I was and did what only He could do. He gave me peace.

No comments: